|SHARE THIS ARTICLE|
In the wake of the devastating tornado that ripped through Moore, Oklahoma earlier this week, celebrities — including Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant and Okie native, Blake Shelton (@@BlakeShelton) — are rallying the troops to support victims.
On Tuesday, a $1 million donation to the Red Cross by Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant (@KDTrey5) was reported for tornado relief. Durant followed the donation with a call to his Twitter followers to also support the Red Cross by texting “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help tornado victims.
Tuesday evening, on the live results episode of NBC’s popular show, ‘The Voice,’ Blake Shelton (who is a coach on the show) joined his wife Miranda Lambert (@MirandaLambert) in a special tribute to victims of the tornado. The couple performed Lambert’s hit, “Over You.”
Watch Shelton and Lambert perform “Over You.”
At the end of the show Tuesday, Shelton announced that he is partnering with NBC to organize a benefit concert for tornado victims. Details on the benefit are pending, but Shelton announced it would take place in nearby Oklahoma City.
Another Okie celeb, Toby Keith (@TobyKeithMusic), who is a native of Moore, is also planning a benefit for victims of the massive tornado. Details of Keith’s benefit are also pending, but initial reports are that his concert will be held at the football stadium on the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman.
Other stars have reacted to the devastation in Oklahoma by urging their Twitter followers to lend a helping hand to those affected by the disaster.
@IMKristenBell: “I just donated to Oklahoma Tornado Victims Fund via @ryotnews http://www.ryot.org/campaigns/oklahoma-tornado-victims-fund …”
@JessicaBiel: “Twitter friends, pls help the #Oklahoma tornado victims by donating to the Red Cross http://redcross.org or text REDCROSS to 90999.”
@KatyPerry: “Sending out prayers for the people of Oklahoma tonight. Let’s help, just text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate 10 dollars to those in need.”
If you would like to support the victims of Monday’s storm, here are a few ways you can help:
- Donate to the OK Strong Disaster Relief Fund coordinated by the United Way of Central Oklahoma and the State of Oklahoma. Make your donation online at UnitedWayOKC.org. The fund is set up to help “with the long-term medical, emotional and educational needs of victims of the May 20 tornado in Moor and the May 19 tornado near Shawnee.”
- Text “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross.
- Donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund
- Give blood at your local hospital or blood bank.
- Donate frequent flier miles to the Red Cross
- Donate to the Samaritan’s Purse Oklahoma Tornado Response relief efforts in Oklahoma online or make a $10 donation by texting “SP” to 80888.
- Make a financial donation online to the Central Oklahoma Humane Society. Donate online here and specify that your donation go to the “OK Humane Disaster Relief Fund.”
- Text “FOOD” to 32333 to give a $10 donation to the Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma.